Friday, August 22, 2008

Weekend before classes August 22, 2008

So after seventeen years of education (I had a super-senior year), hundreds of hours in preparation for the LSAT, and almost a year of waiting for admissions responses, I begin my professional journey in law school this Monday. How does one describe the range of feelings? My classmate summed it up in three words - "Triumph and terror."

What exactly are we going to do on our first day? Do they really expect us to memorize ALL those pages, write a dissertation and defend it? 2Ls and 3Ls offer words of comfort: "Nothing can prepare you for your first year of law school" (that's helpful). Throw on the endless readings that some describe as being like "stirring concrete with your eyelids," a little debt somewhere in the neighborhood of 140k, a declining economy, and the rise in law school graduates and now you're starting to get a sense of life as a 1L (no pressure).

I hope to keep a brief log of daily events so I don't have to retell the same story over and over again. I believe this will be therapeutic, (hopefully) entertaining, and will serve as my diary to look back upon one day if global warming or terrorists haven't done us in already. Let the games begin...

-J

1 comment:

David said...

Cool beans bro! Best of luck! I would worry about ecological disaster before terrorists tho. :)